Monday, January 9, 2017

Monday, January 9, 2017

Happy New Year to my awesome students and families!!!!

I hope you all had a wonderful 2 weeks off. Now that it's time to get back to work, here's a look at this week:

Projects: We are starting our unit on the 1920's (The Roaring Twenties); we will begin by reading, completing webquests and watching videos related to this time period before starting our final project.

7th Grade Reading: This week we will start reading one of my VERY FAVORITES:  The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton. This book consistently captures and engages my 7th graders and I can't wait to share it with them. We will begin with a small author study and some prereading exercises before moving into chapter 1 and some character analyses this week!

Writing: Students will write another narrative. This one will be called "My Favorite Mistake" and it follows a template laid out by Kelly Gallagher, the author of a great writing resource book called Write Like This. The students will focus on expression and reflection skills in this paper. I was so impressed with their "Day in the Life" narratives. I'm hanging them up outside the classroom, so be sure to come by and read them. They are great!

8th Grade Reading: This week my 8th graders and I will start reading To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. This book is a powerful, wonderful story about race relations (among other things) in the deep south during the Great Depression and is, perhaps, my all time favorite book. We will read about Harper Lee and learn some facts about the Great Depression, Jim Crow, and segregation before starting the novel on Thursday.

Homework:

7th--Read for 20 minutes and record on reading log; IXL U.1 Vague Pronoun References

8th--Finish reading stories from "Week in Rap" on Monday; read for 20 and fill out reading logs.

No comments:

Post a Comment